WPEB 88.1 FM
West Philadelphia’s Community Radio Station
WPEB 88.1 FM and now W236CL 95.1 FM provide a much needed local, progressive, and accountable media outlet to serve as a voice for West Philadelphia’s many communities. It provides a forum for individuals and community based organizations to discuss the issues that affect us, play music not heard on mainstream media and promote education and creative substantive expression.
For more information about being a part of WPEB, please visit WPEB's website or call (215) 472-0881.
The application to be a broadcaster is available HERE
This station is committed to serve the West Philadelphia community, and anyone is welcome to get involved. As a volunteer-run project, there's no shortage of ways to contribute.
- Come to a Monthly Meeting for an orientation to the station and a general membership meeting. These meetings are held at the WPEB studio, located at 3908 Lancaster Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19104.
- Become a Member. This is the best way to help the station. Members shape the direction of the station by voting on important issues. They pay yearly dues on a sliding scale ($25-$50) and volunteer on a station committee. Download a membership application from the bottom of the page.
- Join one of the 4 standing committees: Outreach, Technology, Programming, or Fundraising
- Apply to Produce an On-Air Program. Have an idea for a Music, Public Affairs, Spoken Word/Poetry, News/Weather, Short Feature or Radio Drama? Scroll down to download an application.
- Introduce WPEB to community groups with whom you're affiliated. Churches, block organizations, school groups, neighborhood associations, community centers, nonprofits and others should all get involved with the station. WPEB can give them a presence on the airwaves and help them better reach their constituencies, while the efforts of those groups can help support the station.
- Volunteer as a non-Member on a committee or sign up online for our occasional calls for volunteers.
- Make a donation or contact an inter-committee liaison to make a donation of services or items. As a noncommercial radio station, all donations are tax-deductible. Contact the Chairs of the Fundraising Committee for a receipt.
- Underwrite a Show. This is a great way to help support a community radio station while spreading word about your business. Underwriting is significantly cheaper than standard advertising, but there are certain limits to what exactly can be broadcast.
- Check the To-Do list on the WPEB website and help with the items listed there.
- LISTEN and spread the word about the station and its mission. Basic fliers are available at the bottom of this page. Download them, pass them out, and leave them with businesses and community organizations.
Subscribe for $5 a Month
The WPEB radio project is made possible by many volunteers and financial support from Robert Brand and Elizabeth Werthan, anonymous donors and member contributors.
In its first stage, the new WPEB is being stewarded by Scribe Video Center. Partnering with Scribe are two West Philadelphia-based organizations: the Philadelphia Independent Media Center (Philly IMC) and the Prometheus Radio Project and a growing variety of community and cultural groups.
|WPEB Program Application.doc||73 KB|
|WPEB Membership Application.doc||354 KB|
|WPEB Brochure.doc||644.5 KB|