Jobs & Opportunities
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops marketing strategies for the promotion of Scribe programs and completed video works, including identifying target audiences and the most effective methods for reaching them.
- Develops publicity materials and writes press releases and other promotional copy.
- Through in-person, face-to-face contact carries out direct outreach to neighborhood organizations, schools and arts organizations to enlarge and deepen our constituency and collaborations.
- Maintains and updates the Scribe website (Drupal); utilizes social media to reach target audiences, distributes direct mail and email promotions, and develops other web-based promotions.
- Develops and strengthens relationships with local and regional press contacts.
- A deep commitment to progressive social change
- Excellent writer and editor
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability with all major social media platforms, social media marketing and promotional strategies
- Knowledge about filmmaking and the local community of media makers
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of layout and design for print and web-based promotional materials
- Superior social media outreach strategies.
- Ability to work under pressure, organize work assignments, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Some knowledge of both the production and post-production aspects of the moviemaking process
- Solid computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, HTML)
This position is posted as a part-time position (24 hours a week). Benefits includes employer contribution towards health care insurance and employer contribution to 403b retirement savings plan.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter detailing how you would contribute to the programs at Scribe, a current resume, and contact information for three professional references to jobs(at)scribe(dot)org
Deadline: Until position is filled. Applications received before March 23, 2020 will receive first priority. Position to begin April 2020.
Street Movies! is back for its 23rd summer this August, offering free outdoor film screenings throughout Philadelphia neighborhoods. Street Movies!, in partnership with community organizations, will highlight local, national, and global cinematic voices as well as local performers.
We are currently seeking submissions for this summer's Street Movies! Street Movies! is a family-friendly event, and we expect anywhere from 40-100 people to be in attendance. We are seeking works that will appeal to our audiences of diverse ethnicities, races, and ages across the city. There will be nine screening locations in August and each screening will feature four to five films per event. *We are closely monitoring the Covid-19 virus pandemic and will make necessary changes as necessary.*
We are looking for animation, fiction, documentary and experimental work. Work should be no longer than 20 minutes. All topics are welcome, but themes and topics will be firmed as the programming develops.
Rental fees of $50 for up to three screenings during the month of August are available for filmmakers. The deadline for submissions is May 8th. Please submit your work in the form of a web link here.
Please Contact: Nehad Khader, Street Movies! Field Producer, email@example.com
For more information visit: http://scribe.org/streetmovies
Scribe Video Center’s Street Movies! is made possible by funding from PECO.
Scribe Seeks Production Facilitators for the 2020 Precious Places Community History Project
Scribe Video Center, a non-profit media arts education organization, is seeking videomaking facilitators to work with community groups participating in the Precious Places Community History Project.
The Precious Places Community History Project is a community oral history project inviting members of Philadelphia's many neighborhoods to document the buildings, public spaces, parks, landmarks and other sites that hold the memories of our communities and define where we live. Unlike oral history projects in other cities, Precious Places teaches the video production process to participating groups, fostering projects authored by those who intimately know the featured neighborhoods.
1. Providing instruction to members of the community organization in the skills necessary to produce a short videotape, including production management and editing.
2. In consultation with the community group, seeing that the project proceeds in accordance with Scribe’s overall production and completion schedule.
3. Guiding the group in logging and transcription procedure, as well as in the completion of an editing script (paper edit) prior to editing.
4. In consultation with the community group, supervising and executing the edit of the video using Adobe Premiere software.
Participating videomaking facilitators will spend an estimated 75 to 100 hours on the project (generally 2-4 hours a week) over a six-month period beginning in March 2020.
Facilitators will receive an honorarium for their work.
Send a letter of interest, resume, and work sample with the subject heading “Precious Places Production Facilitator” by March 1, 2020 to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
Scribe Video Center
3908 Lancaster Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19104
If you have any questions, please call 215-222-4201 or email email@example.com
TEACHING ARTISTS WANTED
Some of Philadelphia’s most outstanding media makers have taught and presented works at Scribe. We create a venue for experienced media makers to share their skills with emerging artists at our workshops in West Philadelphia and in community media production projects throughout the Philadelphia region. We are looking for talented artists with solid skills in HD videography, sound recording, editing, animation and motion software, web design. Most of our instructor/facilitators have MFAs and/or have produced a solid body of creative work. Our hourly rate for teaching is comparable to area colleges. (But in all honesty, you're not going to get rich doing this, but you will make a huge difference.)
Please send a cover letter, resume and web-links of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Teaching Artist” in the subject line.
Volunteer At Scribe
We often need volunteers at screenings and events. If you would like to be added to our list of prospective volunteers please email us at email@example.com.